Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mammaw Update


As of today, Mammaw is doing somewhat good. She says that I must have just gotten scared and called the Ambulance because she most certainly did not have a heart attack. Haha.
As she most certainly did not have a heart attack, they are having a hard time keeping her flat for the 48 hours or whatever after the splint was put in. The doctors tried sedatives but they made no impact. As of last night, she had to have restraints put on as she doesn't know where she is or why she is there but she does NOT like it! She is very disoriented and they were up all night trying to keep her calm..Mikey says this is normal with Alzheimer patients..

Instead of picturing her like that I like to remember when her hands smelled like bleach because she was always cleaning so much...And when I was 14 or 15 and would love to play the Tennessee Waltz on her piano because she loved it and would sing while she was cleaning, cooking, etc..Or when I was little and we loved to share a can of jalapeno cheese dip with a bag of Doritos and she would crush up chips in the last bit of dip so I could eat it with a fork. Or when her and I would rake her leaves up at the double wide and she would tell Mama how good I was at it and it made me want to make her proud.....
I like to picture those times because who she is now isn't really her..

3 comments:

  1. Now you are going to make me cry. I remember my grandma clucking at me and telling me to stop being a smart-alec, always in the kitchen baking up some yummy dessert, her warm hugs, the bright red lipstick, and her paper-thin skin on her arms and hands.
    My mom worked in the Alzheimers ward at the nursing home for so many years. She said that you never knew what to expect when you went into work each day, it was always a different adventure, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an adventure-thats for sure!! Haha. And yeah, It's better to remember those kind of things..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang on to those memories, because that is who she is and how she would want you to remember her!!! You are an exceptional person.

    ReplyDelete