Thursday, March 10, 2011

Feliz Cumpleanos!

Since we are leaving in a couple weeks and Orlando and Dyana will both have their birthdays within the next month or so, Chucho and I decided to throw them a little party here before we head out. However, getting ready for the party was a bigger fiasco then I had ever imagined. But a FUN fiasco! Haha. Chucho made a trip to the city(3.5 hours one way) to get the cakes and other items this morning. Then we spent awhile blowing up balloons and tying them with twine to hang all over the house. (And by me I mean-Chucho) And all the while the neighbor lady and my mother-in-law were busy in the ‘kitchen’ making Tamales..

I know it may sound nuts but the biggest adventure for me in the whole preparation was actually inviting the people. With Chucho gone to go purchase the Tres Leche Cakes, the inviting was left up to me. With Dyana in tow, I grudgingly walked out the front door with my 11 year old sister-in-law who promised her maternal supervisors to make sure the inviting process went smoothly. Following Lupita and the neighbor boys, Pancho and Boti, I gathered what little courage I had left and went to the houses that their fingers pointed to, with a sole purpose to invite people. And that’s what I did! And I can’t even believe how accomplished I felt!! It seriously takes a lot to walk around a town in another country, invite random people to a party for your American children (who most likely are lucky enough to have a lot more than the guests), and all the while maintain composure while doing exactly as 11-year-olds tell you to. Ha! What a task!!

Anyway, the party was wonderful. TONS of people came. We made over 200 jello cups for the kids, over 200 Mole Pork Tamales, around 50 Pineapple Tamales for the kids, and some lovely hot chocolate. Normally the highlight of a birthday in the US (I know for me) is opening the presents..However, after eating all the tamales and cake (that female hispanics expect to maintain normal intake) it is impossible to think of such things.. And I think that’s perfect. In fact, I think I’ll have Tres Leche cake for breakfast too!!

However, I am left to wonder…Is it common knowledge that birthdays in other countries are so extremely different? Or is such knowledge only able to truly be understood after being in the midst of all the menial preparation tasks? I mean, I always knew festivities and celebrations were different but I never thought of the little things when dealing with preparation..Such as-jello instead of ice cream. (As only the lucky few have refrigerators)..This is just a small difference though in comparison to the rest of the party. I suppose what really matters is the babies had fun, all the kids in town who came had fun, all the parents had fun, and everyone goes home with a VERY full stomach. Seriously, what more could a person ask for in a birthday party?!

No comments:

Post a Comment